Judes and I have addressed the cole slaw issue before, but I would like to share a little delight that I whipped up this week.
Fast Cole Slaw Everyone Likes
1/2 head medium to small cabbage, about 4 cups chopped
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 finely diced shallot.
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup white sugar
healthy dash of Soy Sauce
- Slice cabbage thinner than imaginable. Seriously.
- Toast almonds at 350. This happens faster then you thick. As soon as you smell them, take them out of the oven.
- Toss sliced cabbage, almonds, and cranberries in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together shallot, olive oil, red wine vinegar (you could also try rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar), sugar, and soy sauce. Dress cabbage mixture. Feel free to adjust dressing quantities to your liking - I am not a fan of lots of dressing, so I always keep it light - plus I think that helps the cabbage stay crisp as leftovers. If you like creamy dressing, you can whisk in a bit of mayo or sour cream.
- Serve immediately, or set aside to marinate in the refrigerator. The dressing is strong enough that this is fine to eat right away.
Rock on fellow foodies.